Friday 25 February 2011

Charity Shop Royalty

As the weather was so lovely yesterday I took my son out for a sunny walk in the buggy, this also means that I have to walk past my "secret" charity shop which as already mentioned is hidden in an old school. I seem to be the only person who ever goes in there. Again I had the run of the shop yesterday and one of the staff who popped in said I was like 'Charity Shop Royalty' as I always seem to have the shop to myself and on several occasions they have opened it up for me  - brill!

The other plus point is that it is so cheap. Most items are 50p or less.  I had a rummage through the fabric basket and found these:
Vintage embroidered table mats - grand sum of 20p! I also found this vintage table cloth right at the bottom of the basket:

It's probably 1950's, I think its an absolute gem and again it was 20p!   I also found this fabulous dressing table mirror:


It was hidden on the back of a shelf and was priced at 50p, I love love love it!

The shop manager made me laugh when she said they are gearing up for a 'sale' on Saturday to clear the stock to make room for all the stuff they still have to put out! I cant even imagine how cheap the items are going to be in the sale :o)

Overheard in a Charity Shop

So for the second instalment of my "regular" feature...while I saw nabbing bargains I heard a huge sigh from the stock room followed by "If I find another pair of dirty mens pants in these bags I'm going to scream"...and wash your hands I wanted to reply!  Eugh - I think these lovely charity shop volunteers deserve an environmental health qualification in waste disposal for some of the manky stuff they have to sort through.

So till next time... Have a Happy Weekend :o)

Scarlett x
Linking to frenchcountrycottage - Feathered Nest Friday!
Linking to junkin-finds-friday!

21 comments:

  1. As a previous charity shop volunteer myself I've got to say I concur with those sentiments, you wouldn't believe some of the things that are donated. One of my weirdest was a casserole dish with bits of casserole left inside! A half used bottle of shampoo was another, along with a jacket whose pockets were stuffed with snotty tissues, lovely :-)

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That charity shop sounds awesome! I LOVE the dressing table mirror, been looking for an old brush and mirror set for a while myself. Love the colours on it as most are washed out pinks- fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweetie this is just fabulous I love vintagey anything roses and your blog is just darling! Hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you found some wonderful things in your hidden spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to meet you too - I'm now following your blog as well. Your secret charity shop sounds amazing, I'm so jealous. It's a rare day when I pick something up for 50p - although I did manage it this week - and my favourite is normally full of shoppers.

    And ugh, at the overheard and Jem's anecdotes! I guess someone never watched Mary Portas...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I LOVE your new thrifty finds! They are wonderful! LOL regarding the guy in the stock room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! - particularly love the embroidered table mats. Where oh where do you live - worth making a trip to wherever it is, just for the charity shops!!
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooooooooo, great finds, Scarlett. As for the people who donate dirty mens pants, well, "what goes around comes around." Let's hope so, anyway. Whenever I buy anything in a thriftie, I always come home and start scrubbing the item, washing the clothes, etc. But I LOVE a bargain so I'm willing to do that! Take care, Scarlett. And thanks SO MUCH for following my blog! It is a labor of love, that's for sure. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow 50p for those gorgeous items i wish i could go ;-)) I adore the hand mirror what a little treasure and so pretty and girly. I would keep that location close to your chest ;-)) Have a lovely weekend, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what prices! All the linens were a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a deal on that gorgeous mirror...love the embroidered cloths too :)
    Big hugs,
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Scarlett

    I'm so happy you found my blog and I'm glad that I've found yours too... you're right, we do like similar things. You have found some wonderful treasure and seem to spend as much time as me in op-shops. And that's saying something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Scarlett,

    You are as they say "a charity shop royalti" i do love the treasures you found on charity shops and in this post, i love the vintage table mats and the mirror, oooooh soooo gorgeous with the roses looks so real! i hope we can have sewing machine soon! I agree about washing hands after touching those mankys stuff, eewww hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, Scarlett,

    You found some wonderful items! I am very fond of 1950s vintage tablecloths and such. I think because I grew up in the mid 50s into the 1960s and they bring back fond memories of my mother and grandmother.

    I'm wild about the embroidery runners and place mats, too.

    Oh, by the way, great idea for transforming your baby jars!

    Have a delightful weekend,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those linens are lovely, and such incredible prices. I enjoy reading about your adventures in the charity shops.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to visit your little charity shop! Love that 50's tablecloth! Wonderful find. Thanks for joining Junkin Finds Friday. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that secret place you've found! What amazing bargains. Isn't it part of the thrill each and every time we visit our "haunts" and find the neat treasures. Loved all your pretties.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What pretty finds!I can't imagine what volunteers sometimes have to contend with, the loves!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got two lovely doilies for 20p at a car boot sale recently.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful finds-the mirror is so pretty! eeewwww on the dirty mens pants!! Yucko!!
    Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment after the beep....
beeeeeeeeeeep!